A tradition in my house is making ANZAC biscuits on ANZAC Day. They would have to be one of my all time favourite biscuits and so easy to make with ingredients that we always have in the cupboard. I must confess I eat most of the dough before they even make it to the oven. Tomorrow my girls and I will be baking these yummy treats to take on a picnic. Will you be baking ANZACs too? Do you like yours crunchy or chewy? I think I like chewy best but really am not too fussy when it comes to ANZACs.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
¾ cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 ½ tablespoons bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 1500C . Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Melt butter and golden syrup together in a small saucepan.
- Mix boiling water and soda together. Mix into butter mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture onto baking trays.
- Bake at 1500C for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Loosen while warm. Cool on trays. Transfer to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container (if they last that long).
ENJOY and may we remember those brave men and women who fought and continue to fight for our country.